Fontmatrix

Re: [Undertype-users] Fit more than two fonts per page

Pierre Marchand ·

Le Sunday 09 December 2007 22:13:20 The Peach, vous avez écrit :
> Interesting enough.
>  I'm using gentoo and I've written an ebuild for the 02svn, and publicized
> a bit on gentoo international forums:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-626918-highlight-.html
> and here the bugzilla entry with the ebuild I wrote:
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201538
> I've used just qt-4.3 and freetype-2 as dependancies, tell me if I've
> missed something like other runtime deps or such things.

fontconfig is required also, because without that, the fonts linked into 
~/.fonts-managed won’t be seen by applications. But one can think that 
fontconfig is yet required for these apps (Scribus or Inkscape in mind).

> > Font-book :
> > You’ll want to reduce the length of the sample text to have more space
> > for the third font.
>
> Exacly, maybe not just three, but as much as possible...
> $ ls -l /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ | wc -l
> 1097
> this means, more or less, a 450 pages pdf... not worth printing neither
> reading it! :) This, on first instance, means that there should be a better
> way to control how many pages are created: the padding around "font blocks"
> seems way too much sometimes.

My idea for future is to produce the PDF catalog based on a user template. 
Obviously, some simple ones will be provided by Fm itself, but the idea is 
here and if nobody object, I’ll do that this way! Let the user layout its own 
book to fit his own needs.
Note, if it was not clear for you, that just the current fonts are exported. 
In my mind, the expected use was not to print a whole font collection, but 
rather split by foundry or project or designer or whatever tag you want.

> Secondly I think you've already thought of 
> sorting fonts not just alphabetically, but by Tag or family name maybe...
> well, just the first things that come into my mind.

It was how it worked at the beginning but once I made it with Initial letters, 
it broke the sorting choice. So, I did put it in darkness for the moment but 
it will be back at some point.

> > The code that generates fontbook is really ugly and will be rewrote soon.
> > I see the font-book generation as one of the great feature of Fontmatrix
> > and would like to make it the "definitive" way of producing an automatic
> > font-book (yes, I’m kind of optimistic this evening).
>
> I totally agree (I'm optimistic too this evening ;) )
>
> > So, if you have
> > requirements or ideas about what you want to see here, it will be
> > listened very carefully.
>
> already started, thanks alot for you work.

About your (and mine also) package, you migth find that some trunk revisions 
are a way better (understand bug free) than the 002 branch. Because, I must 
confess, I do not have time to forward fixes from trunk to branches /o\

-- 
Pierre Marchand
http://www.oep-h.com


_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users

In this thread

From the undertype-users mailing list at Gna!, as archived by The Mail Archive. All messages.