Fontmatrix

Re: [Undertype-users] fontmatrix experience

Pierre Marchand ·

Vous avez écrit :
> First of I would like to say a great "Thank You" to all involved for
> bringing us such a long awaited application - a real fontmanager for Linux
> for the first time, at least to my knowledge. Something I really desired
> for quite a long time. And for seeing it being actively developed.
> Defenitely great!  I have played around a bit in Ubuntu Gutsy and it was
> all in all a very pleasing experience. But I came across one or two
> niggles. The first is one that may not occur in every day use but since I
> tried to import a heavy mass of Type1-Fonts for use in OpenOffice (a shame
> that it can't use Opentype nowadays)

100% agree

> Fontmatrix refused to load afterwards. 
> In fact it was about 2000 Fonts what means in Type1 a load of nearly 10.000
> files since I was told you need in OO all the five corresponding files.
> Maybe I can't blame Fontmatrix for that - such a quantitymay bemore than it
> is made for (and to be honest - in reality I don't need them all...)  

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r261 | oeildepierre | 2007-12-20 10:30:08 +0100 (jeu, 20 déc 2007) | 1 line

Fixed crash when loading broken face that Freetype fails to build
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you run a revision superior to r261? (I secretly hope no)
If yes, please consider to file a bug report here
https://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=undertype
since 10000 font files should just slow down some operations. IIRC, Bruno D. 
reported to load 26000 font files without issue (without broken fonts or with 
rev 261). If you don’t want to bother with SVN, just wait for next weeks as 
we’re about to release a new version.

> And I 
> have a little wish: When importing another folder - could the opening
> filebrowser remember the last opened folder? 

It does here, maybe more related to Qt than Fontmatrix.

> And would it be possible to 
> select and import multiple files resp. folders? That could make things
> easier.  All the best  Jan

The way Fontmatrix imports fonts is not optimal (who said crap?). It explores 
the folder you indicate to find font files and the folders contained in this 
folder, but it stops here. To be honest, I was scared of what could happen 
with actual recursivity. There is already a bug report asking for 
improvements here. To import files, I prefer use drag and drop mechanism - 
see  http://www.fontmatrix.net/multimedia/fm_dnd.ogg

Jan, thank you for your feedback. Don’t hesitate to suscribe to the 
mailing-list https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users 

-- 
Pierre Marchand
http://www.oep-h.com


_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users

In this thread

From the undertype-users mailing list at Gna!, as archived by The Mail Archive. All messages.