Fontmatrix

Re: [Undertype-users] Search fonts

Pierre Marchand ·

Vous (The Peach) avez écrit :
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:13:19 +0200
> > For
> > font type, as someone asked for, you can have it with "CFF", "TrueType",
> > etc. Now, writing this, it appears clear that we really miss the
> > possibility to "stack" the search results. I’ll do that.
>
> This could be quite interesting as long as you can then have specialized
> books of font families (being able to separate serif from sans could be
> enough).

You’ll need to tag fonts yourself for this kind of characteristic. Or, and 
it’s quite an idea even if I wouldn’t bet on it, someone has to maintain a 
public database where all applications could grab infos about fonts.

> All right: before telling you that I'd like to mention that I've got a
> 1500-fonts collection of fonts I've acquired during these last few years.
> Even if I've always tried to select them carefully, thanks to fontmatrix
> I've found that many of them have some small quirks I don't understand:
> usually these are just TTF fonts, they don't render ok or don't render at
> all (there's no preview available), using them -ie- on GIMP, gives strange
> results like huge spaces between words or characters. Are these a problem
> of the font itself or the rendering engine? or what? Just to be sure that
> next time I see them I'll wipe them out of my harddisk. ;) 

What you describe here lets me think it’s a font problem. Here are some 
informations displayed by Fontmatrix which will be useful to determine if the 
font is deeply broken or if it can be fixed.
How many glyphs?
What Type?
Which encodings?
Vendor?
"Base latin" and more generally "* latin *" coverages? 
And finally, if you have Fontforge installed, run it with the font that gives 
problems by selecting "Edit->Edit the selected font" menu entry and once here 
you have "Elements->Validate..." plus a full range of possible checks.
By the way, it can be a good idea to tell us what are these fonts because 
somebody could already have issues with it.

> The second 
> problem I'd like to point out, in the font list preview of fontmatrix I've
> found that *sometimes* when scrolling down the list and arriving at the
> bottom (maybe only after a search result with more pages) and continuing
> scrolling down, the fonts visualized do some strange things (change shape
> or style): I don't understand if this is a problem with my fonts (see
> above) or with fontmatrix. If you like we can spot the right problem here
> and then open a bugreport on bugzilla. Tell me what you prefer.

I think it’s a Fontmatrix bug and it would be nice if you could take time to 
open a bugreport. I saw it once when scrolling up.
The preview list is a Fontmatrix own widget on top of a Qt graphic surface. 
Then it somehow weaker than regular Qt list widgets, so when you see it 
begins to be screwed up in any way it means that the segmentation fault is 
not far away! Thus it’s time to sync with the database (File->Save) and 
hit "View All" or do something that refresh the list.

> I hope I didn't miss anything, and made it clear :)
>
> Cheers,



-- 
Pierre Marchand
http://www.oep-h.com


_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users

In this thread

From the undertype-users mailing list at Gna!, as archived by The Mail Archive. All messages.