Re: [Undertype-users] How does fotmatrix work?
Emmanuel Viaud ·
Le Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:01:03 -0400 komputes <[email protected]> a écrit
> I really like fontmatrix but I have a question about what happens (in
> the back end) when I activate a font.
>
> So lets say i have a new font called foo in
> /home/me/stuff/fonts/bob.ttf. I point Fonmatrix to that path, and it
> shows me the new font - yay! Then when I put a checkmark it
> aliases/symlinks the font in ~/.fontmatrix. The part I don't
> understand is how the system now knows about and can use this font
> without it being installed in a valid font dir like ~/.fonts
> or /usr/share/fonts
Hi.
Fontconfig (the tool used to manage fonts for applications on
Linux/*BSD/...) uses user-level configuration files (~/.fonts.conf)
to set many parameters, including font directories. Fontmatrix creates
(or modifies if the file already exists?) such a file to add
~/.fontmatrix to the font directory list. As an exemple, my
~/.fonts.conf contains:
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
<dir>/home/manu/.Fontmatrix/Activated</dir>
</fontconfig>
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Emmanuel
_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users
In this thread
- komputes
- Emmanuel Viaud
From the undertype-users mailing list at Gna!, as archived by The Mail Archive. All messages.