Fontmatrix

[Undertype-users] I'm Stunned and Don't Know What to Say

The PC Medic in Iowa ·

Good morning Alexandre (and every/anybody else out there),

Although your news feels like a cold bucket of water has been thrown on me, it hasn't seriously dampened my enthusiasm for Fontmatrix. Consider that I, a relative newcomer to the world of Linux (but not to the world of Open Source software) has been able to perceive a glaring need for a _/*good*/_ font management application must speak to a need that is out there, /although/ I will also confess that since this need is so obvious, /why hasn't anybody else stepped up to help address this need?/ I am under no illusion that I am some Great Visionary who has perceived of something lost to everyone else. My hubris is not that great!

You write that you are glad someone has come along to fill in for Pierre. I presume that you mean Pierre Marchand, who appears to be the 'father' of this project. If this is so, then you do me great credit which I have not earned! Yet, over the course of time, I intend to earn it. Is Mssr. Marchand still among the living and has just moved on with his life for reasons that I do not yet comprehend, or has he gone onto whatever it is that awaits us all when our earthly existence is over? What of the other credited authors of Fontmatrix? Have they all abandoned the project? I must say that, from my perspective as a rank amateur and outsider, this project appears to be /so near/ to being perfected (if one may truly say that of any piece of software) I simply do not comprehend why everyone walked away. And what of this overarching project, Undertype? What is it? How is Fontmatrix tied to it? I am probably sticking my nose into something that, if I were wiser, I might not, but the fact of the matter is that I was born with the gift of curiosity. It was encouraged in me through my childhood and youth, then honed by the Jesuits when I attended college. It is one of my greatest gifts and one of my greatest character flaws, because I have never been able to apply filters of propriety to it. Once I have the bit in my mouth (do you understand this idiom?) my curiosity will not be denied! So when I tell you I have a morbid sense of curiosity, you may rely on that!

On another level entirely, will you or anyone else be able to assist me in completing the installation of Fontmatrix on my own system? I do not expect anyone to drop everything else to come to my aid, but at the same time, I would like to be able to look forward to some assistance, lest I find myself re-inventing the wheel, so to speak. I know you do not know of anyone at this moment who can (or cares to) mentor me, be my guide, my professor, my /sensei/, but there is another saying, perhaps you are familiar with it, that says: When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. It has proven to be true throughout my life, so I have no reason to doubt its veracity now!

My respect and best regards,



On 04/21/2017 04:07 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Send Undertype-users mailing list submissions to
        [email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [email protected]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [email protected]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Undertype-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

    1. Glad To Be Here (Frank Waterman)
    2. Re: Glad To Be Here (Alexandre Prokoudine)
    3. Questions Regarding Installation of Fontmatrix (Frank Waterman)
    4. Error While Installing Fontmatrix 0.9.99 (Frank Waterman)


_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users

--
_______________________________________________
Undertype-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/undertype-users

From the undertype-users mailing list at Gna!, as archived by The Mail Archive. All messages.